Chicago orders 20 electric garbage trucks

Motiv Electric Garbage Truck 2

The City of Chicago has placed a purchase order with Motiv Power Systems for up to $13.4 million to supply 20 electric garbage trucks.

The ERV is a Class 8 truck with a Loadmaster Excel-S rear loader body and a Crane Carrier chassis. It has a gross weight of 60,000 lbs and a capacity of 9 tons or 20 cubic yards of refuse. Total power is 280 kW (375 hp), and top speed is 50 mph. The ten battery packs have a total capacity of 200 kWh, which supplies 60 miles of range and 70 compaction cycles. A three-phase 60 kW on-board charger delivers a full charge in 8 hours.

Motiv Electric Garbage Truck2

California-based Motiv’s electric Powertrain Control System (ePCS) is designed to electrify any truck or bus chassis with a variety of commercially-available battery packs and motors. The ePCS is installed as a ship-through modification, enabling electrification with minimal changes between fossil fuel and electric versions of the vehicles. Another customer is California’s Kings Canyon School District, which has ordered four ePCS-powered electric school buses.

Motiv also offers a remote real-time data system to monitor vehicle performance.

 

Source: Motiv Power Systems

  • Stephen Collins

    200kWh battery needs 8hrs to charge on a 60kW charger? What am I missing?

    • fiddler John

      80% in four hours, and a much lower current charge for the remaining 20%. 60 kW is probably the maximum input power of the on-board charger. For longer battery life the charge rate is reduced to a trickle near the end of charge. During the end of trickle charge, the individual cells are carefully balanced. The more time taken for balancing, the better the balance.

      However, it is not necessary to fully charge every time. My guess is that this system could charge to more than 25% SOC for at least 25 miles of range during a one hour lunch break. I like it.

      • Stephen Collins

        Thanks John. At 60kW it should be able to charge to 180kW in three hours, which is 90%. If the trickle needs to start at 80%, that’s 160kW, or 2hr 40min. That means 5hr 20min is required to balance the cells, twice as long as it took to charge them up in the first place?! Something stills seems a little off.

        60kW charge during lunch would be 60kWh or 30% of total capacity (which would be 18 miles and 21 compaction cycles, based on full battery abilities).

        • fiddler John

          A 60kW input to the Charger provides a maximum of only 50kW into the battery.

          The charger I use has an input of 50kw and an output of 114A at 360VDC for 41kW into the battery. Even that is only for the first few minutes. The current slowly drops with SOC. After 12 minutes the current has dropped to 80A at 60% SOC. After 20 minutes and 80% SOC the current has gradually dropped to 27A.

          In my case the 50kW charger starts at 41kW at 10% SOC to 29 kW at 60% to only 10 kW after 20 minutes at 80% SOC. I takes me over an hour to get that last 20% SOC which is usually not worth it if i’m in enough of a hurry to need a fast DC charge.

          • Stephen Collins

            Wow. That’s about the same ratios as the truck then. It’s crazy how much longer it takes to finish up the charge. Thanks for the info.

  • Scott Pope

    SUPPORT ELECTRIC VEHICLES

    Sign the petition
    (only your initials are visible to the public)

    http://wh.gov/i2kVe

    Press Congress to increase the gasoline tax while using the executive branch to
    articulate the benefits to constituents

    The U.S. has reached a milestone by leading the world in petroleum and natural
    gas production and in electric vehicle innovation. With moderating gas prices,
    the government should use this halcyon moment to rationalize funding for
    transportation. As the gas tax was last adjusted in 1993, an increase is long
    overdue. Our nation’s productivity is impaired by poor infrastructure and
    congestion. It is time to decouple our economy from oil and capture a larger
    share of transportation costs domestically. Proceeds spent on infrastructure
    will foster job growth not only directly through increased construction
    activity but also indirectly by enhancing the competitiveness of domestic
    industries. The Obama administration is uniquely positioned to lead as
    educator-in-chief on this front.

  • Gbrandstetter

    The first refuse truck was 1.3 million. the first batch is half that. Now I wonder how does the cost of ownership compare between the diesel and the electric trucks