ClipperCreek has announced a new smart grid-connected charging station, which includes an embedded revenue grade sub-meter and a variety of smart grid communications options.
The CS-40-SG2 is built on the ClipperCreek CS-Series charging platform and Itron’s utility meter and communications technology, and is designed to extend a utility’s energy management intelligence to the charging station through a wireless communication interface.
According to ClipperCreek, utilities will now have full visibility and control of electric vehicle charging directly through their smart grid. The new units are being deployed in various pilot projects starting this month.
“As electric vehicle charging increases power use across the country, utilities will need a solution that allows them to monitor and control the timing without inconveniencing the customer,” states Jason France, ClipperCreek’s President, “The CS-40-SG2 enables critical functions needed to directly regulate electric vehicle charging cost effectively.”
Key features of the CS-40-SG2:
- ZigBee Smart Energy Protocol 1.1 Demand Response/Load Control capabilities
- Itron revenue-grade embedded sub-meter for precise power measurement
- Meter data recording, including interval data, registers, and tampers
- Wi-Fi local access communications provides charging status, metering data, and Utility DR program information to nearby browser-enabled mobile devices
- Wi-Fi or Cellular as WAN communications for backhauling charging station and metering data including ESPI Green Button data