Plug-in vehicles displaced 323 million gallons of gas in 2018, up 42% from 2017

According to the DOE, plug-in vehicles on US roads displaced 323 million gallons of gasoline in 2018, or about 0.25% of all gasoline used in the US that year.

Gasoline displacement from plug-in vehicles in 2018 was about 42% higher than in 2017 and about twice as much as 2016. Displacement from all-electric vehicles is also growing. The gasoline displacement from EVs versus PHEVs was split almost evenly in 2012 and 2013, but by 2018 EVs accounted for two-thirds of all displacement.

As EV adoption continues to grow, the amount of electricity consumed by plug-ins in the United States has nearly doubled in the last two years, from 1.44 terawatt-hours in 2016 to 2.85 terawatt-hours in 2018. The share of electricity consumption from all-electric vehicles increased compared to the electricity consumption from PHEVs. In 2018, EVs accounted for 61% of all electricity consumption from plug-in vehicles, while PHEVs accounted for the remaining 39%.

Source: Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy

  • jstack6

    Yet because gas is so cheap from subsidies the US still imports millions of barrels a day. People drive more and create tons of pollution. It’s going to take years to make a big enough difference and we don’t have that long. We also still allow Fracking.

    https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/how-much-oil-us-produce-import.htm

    Looking again at 2008, the United States imported around 9.8 million barrels of crude oil per day from other countries [source: U.S. Energy Information Administration], and that comes out to a whopping 3.5 billion barrels per year!

    • yulong zhu

      gas is cheap in USA, but expensive in China, espicially compared with the purchasing power. So Chinese is striving to develop EV/HEV, maybe in a the near future, the price of EV will be equivalent to combustion vehicle, or less.Cheaper battery, Cheaper controller, cheaper electromotor….